Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Silent Killer Part 3 of Self Care

It should be no surprise that having children with special needs is going to bring on some sadness and possibly depression.  When my son was born two months early, I got severe postpartum depression.  This was one of the hardest challenges of my life!  I remember that empty feeling and the guilt and shame I carried because I could not be the mother I wanted to be to this precious new life I created.  However, little did I know, that trial was preparing me and coaching me to be a mother to two children who would have very specific needs.

Those years of that trial taught me so much about myself.  I learned that happiness could still be found among the clouds that hung over me.  I learned that I could be strong and endure very hard and painful things.  I learned that it was okay to cry. I learned to have courage.  I learned God had a plan specifically for me.

I believe that if left untreated depression is a silent killer!  It is so important for all of us to know and understand what depression is and how to help each other.  I know since going through postpartum depression I try to be a good friend and I really watch out for my friends who have children with special needs because I know and understand it is hard, and sometimes all one needs is a good listener.  If you believe that you might have depression please seek help from your doctor or talk to a trusted friend.  There is always hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment