Thursday, May 17, 2018

You Must Be Special!

I hear this above quote frequently during my interactions with others.  Honestly, like the definition reads above God gives these children to everyone!  When you have a child or children with needs that extend beyond the day to day needs,  you reach a crossroads where you decide  if you are going to step it up, remain where you are, or are you going to step it down?  The choice is ours and frankly some days it is not an easy choice!

 Throughout my journey of raising my son and daughter, I have days where I just want to step it down and crawl into a hole!  This usually happens when I have had to consistently discover ways to get my son to complete all of his homework, or when I get calls from the school letting me know that my son is struggling socially and the general education teachers are frustrated!  It also happens when adults and other children don't understand his intentions or how he communicates with others.

 However, my daughter is different because she struggles with an autoimmune disease and frankly she has frequent medical appointments and sometimes does not feel well.  There are days when I just throw up my hands in the air and ask, "Why Me?"  I then recognize that it is time for some self-care which I will discuss in a different post.

Though, this journey can be rough, you are given the opportunity to meet several wonderful people that you otherwise would not have met.  If you are also a lover of learning like myself, you also get the opportunity to read about your child's condition, speak to experts about your child, attend classes, work with your child's team, and get to know and understand the special education laws!  My husband and I often joke that by the time our children become adults we have earned a law degree, a psy. degree, a medical degree, an occupational therapy degree, and an education degree!  If you choose to step it up you then start becoming an expert for your child or children.  I have learned the choice is always mine and God will help you become the parent you need to be!          

No comments:

Post a Comment